Thursday, January 05, 2006

This Is A Real-Life Example Of One Of Those Word-Problems

that you read in the smart-people magazines.

About three weeks ago I was part of a selection committee for a poetry journal. There were five of us, all told. We were at a coffee shop, drinking coffee and selecting poetry. I had never before seen any of these four people, not including myself, who I see on a regular basis. I believe that we may have all been introduced to each other, though I can't remember. I have a terrible memory. I can't remember any of the people's names, except one, the coordinator of the whole affair, Michelle. There were, not counting myself, two men and two women. One of the men was an engineer, which I thought was interesting, that an engineer would be selecting poetry. It takes all sorts, I suppose. The other man was with the woman. I assume that they were together, as they sat close.

Now for the puzzle part. Tonight I received an email. It was from Mel. The text of the message reads something like this:

Hi, we were on that committee together, don't know if you remember me, I'm a friend of Michelle's. I was impressed with your subtle wit and knowledge of form. It would be cool to get to know you better, maybe catch a movie if you're available. Let me know, Mel.

Granted, that's a paraphrase, but it's the essential parts. At first, thinking of Mel Brooks, I thought that Mel was one of the men. But then I thought that Mel could be short for something else, like Melanie.

And now I don't know. I just don't know. Damn this infernal trouble remembering memories that I have.

Any thoughts on what the sex of this person is? Give me your two cents. I really would like to know what sort of situation I would be getting myself into were I to accept the invitation.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

o! i can't pass up a chance
to give advice.

why not just email him.her back
and say sure, i'd like to get together. then go meet him.her and find out the gender.

if it's a gal then yay, right?
if it's a guy then maybe he's just
lookin for a friend. riiight?
and if he's not you can set him straight...um about your own preferences. in fact, you could even find that before you meet by admitting to your terrible memory and asking the gender.

there's nothing in the paraphrase that suggests a romantic encounter.

as for my guess, it's michelle.

-l

11:51 AM  
Blogger The Vicar said...

Turns out I found out already. She gave me a ring, and it's a she.

So we're getting together Sunday.

This is a moment. It's historical and stuff.

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a ring?
that was fast!
and before you even met...
what size stone does it have?


and was it michelle, then?

curious
l

11:18 AM  
Blogger The Vicar said...

quarter carat princess.

mel and michelle are awful damn similar names, aren't they? i don't think it's michelle though. those two names being so similar is what people call a coincidence.

which, come to think of it, i don't believe in.

4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home