Thursday, November 17, 2005

Practical Principles Pertaining To Everything, Part One

Never use a word containing more than three syllables in a poem. I ran across a four syllable word while reading Wallace Stevens:
majolica
What the fuck's a majolica? I'd look it up, but I'm a poet. Which means that I'm poor. Which means that the only dictionary that I can afford doesn't have that word in it. I'd look it up online, but free definitions are by definition the suck, and I'm better than that.

Here's another example of a greater-than-three-syllable word that nobody should ever ever use in a poem:
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
It reminds me too much of that song. From that movie. I'm sure you've heard it. What's it called again? Oh yeah, I remember.

"I'm Going Back To Cali"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home